Working class poets, musicians, filmmakers, artists, cooks, organizers, activists and everyone else invited to come and participate in celebration and solidarity on Thursday, May 1 from 5:30 to 10 or so at the new Resistencia space 4926 Cesar Chavez. Lilia Rosas will MC.
Commit, organize, put this together, communicate with us. We need you! Here's a list of immediate commitments needed. Please respond.
The timeline is:
- March 24: EA Executive Board ratifies election rules and membership roll
- April 7: Nomination forms posted to Education Austin website
- April 22: Last date to submit nominations (deadline: 4:45 PM)
- May 2: Ballots mailed to members
- May 30: Last day for ballots to be received through U.S. mail in the post office box
- May 31: Ballots counted and results posted to website
AUSTIN, Tex. — The meeting began, as so many in middle-school auditoriums do, uncomfortably. Parents squeezed into chairs fit for 12-year-old knees. The speaker’s first question fell flat.
“Estamos listos a aprender mucho?” repeated Montserrat Garibay, an official with the local teachers’ union. Are we ready to learn a lot?
Next fall, Mauricio Ramos will enter the University of Texas at Arlington to major in computer science. “My career goal is to become a computer programmer, definitely,” he says. When he was in his early teens, however, that didn’t seem imaginable to Mauricio or to his teachers. Like a lot of kids growing up in his East Austin neighborhood, Mauricio was making all the wrong choices. “Bad influences were sending me down the wrong path. I needed something to change. Luckily for me, I went to Lanier.”